Main Article Content
The first issue of Philosophical Transactions from the Royal Society published in 1665 is widely regarded as the beginning of modern academic communication through journal articles. This form of presentation was an alternative to books for facilitating the exchange of ideas among scholarly circles. Soon journal collections and scientific libraries were created and eventually an evaluation of the quality of research activity was sought through noting the impact of their publications1.
With guidance from the National University of Colombia and support from Scielo Brazil, in 2013 the standards of the US-NLM were implemented and technical endorsement by Pubmed Central was attained. Colombia Médica´s retention over time is guaranteed by the US-NLM; as of 2014 it will become part of PubMed Central, the free digital archive of biomedical and biological sciences of the U.S. National Institute of Health, which is considered to be the most important digital library in the world.
The guidance of the journals by multidisciplinary teams, the policy of free access to its contents, and the technological transfer with the use of free software will help the journals of middle and low-income countries to overcome barriers to diffusion and to maintain technological independence from commercial publishers. Colombia Médica makes an impassioned plea to WHO/PAHO to support BIREME, Brazil and convert SciELO into a certified digital repository.
. de Micheli-Serra A , author. On Academics and Academicians, Historical sketch. Gac Med Mex. 2003;139(3):281–285
. Odlyzko AM , author. Tragic Loss or Good Riddance? The Impending Demise of Traditional Scholarly Journals. International Journal of Human Computer Studies. 1995;42(1):71–122
. Fernandez-Llimos F , author. Open access, predatory publishing and peer-review. Pharm Pract (Granada). 2014;12(1):427
. Beck J , author. NISO Z3996 The Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) What Happened to the NLM DTDs. J Electron Publ. 2011;14(1):106
. Packer AL, Biojone MR, Antonio I, Takenaka RM, Pedroso Alberto G, Silva AC, et al. . SciELO: una metodología para la publicación electrónica. Rev Esp Salud Publica. 2001;75(4):291–312
. León-Sarmiento FE , author. Colombia Médica is now indexed in MEDLINE/Pubmed: A dream come true. Colomb Med. 2011;42:265–266
. Herrera JA , author. Revista electrónica con sistema abierto: Un salto tecnológico. Colomb Med. 2010;41:9
- Clara I. Campos, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Los clínicos son de marte y los patólogos de venus. Interpretación clínica de los informes de patología. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 32 No. 4 (2001)
- Maria Clara Yepez, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Arsenio Hidalgo Troya, Daniel Marcelo Jurado, Luisa Mercedes Bravo, Cancer incidence and mortality in the municipality of Pasto, 1998 – 2007 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 4 (2012): Numbers in cancer: 50-year of The Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Estimating the incidence and mortality of cancer in Colombia: What are the best data for public policies? , Colombia Medica: Vol. 47 No. 2 (2016)
- Luz Stella García, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Paola Collazos, Oscar Ramírez, Edwin Carrascal, Marcela Nuñez, Nelson Portilla, Erquinovaldo Millan, Cali Cancer Registry Methods , Colombia Medica: Vol. 49 No. 2 (2018)
- Alejandra Saldarriaga-Cantillo, Oscar Londoño, Luz Stella García, Paola Collazos, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Epidemiological surveillance of the HIV/AIDS complex through the analysis of trends in the incidence of Kaposi’s sarcoma in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 4 (2012): Numbers in cancer: 50-year of The Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Juan Carlos Bravo, José Luis Realpe, Guillermo Zarama, María Blanca Piazuelo, Pelayo Correa, Source of variation in the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori-associated multifocal atrophic gastritis. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 39 No. 1 (2008)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Helicobacter pylori y la patogénesis de la gastritis y la úlcera. Premio Nobel en Medicina y Fisiología. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 37 No. 3 (2006)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella García, Paola Andrea Collazos, Cancer survival in Cali, Colombia: A population-based study, 1995-2004 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 46 No. 1 (2015)
- Ramiro Pinedo, César Neira, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Angiomixoma agresivo: Informe de casos y revisión de literatura , Colombia Medica: Vol. 26 No. 3 (1995)
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use