Main Article Content
Stomach cancer is among the most frequent, is a leading cause of mortality in low- and middle-income countries. Assessing its survival is important to guide evidence-based health policies.
To estimate stomach cancer survival in Colombia (2014-2019) with data from the national Cancer Information System (NCIS) and in Cali with data from the Cali Population Cancer Registry (RPCC) (1998-2017).
NCIS estimated the overall 3-year net survival for 8,549 people, while RPCC estimated 5-year net survival for 6,776 people.
The 3-year net survival was 36.8% (95% CI: 35.5-38.1). Net survival was higher in people with special insurance (61.7%; 95% CI: 44.8-74.8) or third payer (40.5%; 95% CI: 38.7-42.3) than state insurance (30.7%; 95% CI: 28.7-32.8). It was also higher in women and people diagnosed at early stages. Multivariable analysis showed consistency with survival estimations with a higher risk of death in men, people with state insurance, and diagnosed at advanced stages. In Cali, the 5-year net survival remained stable in men during the last 20 years. In women the 5-year net survival in women increased 8.60 percentage points, equivalent to a 50% increase compared to the 1998-2002 period. For 2013-17, it was 19.1% (95%CI: 16.2-22.2) in men, and 24.8% (95% CI: 20.4-29.3) in women.
Population survival estimates from the RPCC were lower than those observed in the NCIS. The differences in their methods and scope can explain variability. Nevertheless, our findings could be complementary to improve cancer control planning in the country.
- Carlos Reina, Miyerlandi Torres, Edgar Muñoz, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Rodrigo Guerrero, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Mortality due to COVID-19 during the vaccination plan against the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 52 No. 4 (2021)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella García, Paola Collazos, Oscar Ramirez, Descriptive epidemiology of childhood cancer in Cali, Colombia 1977-2011 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 44 No. 3 (2013)
- Nubia Muñoz, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Epidemiology of cervical cancer in Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 4 (2012): Numbers in cancer: 50-year of The Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Tito Collazos, Paola Collazos, Luz Stella García, Pelayo Correa, Trends of cancer incidence and mortality in Cali, Colombia. 50 years experience , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 4 (2012): Numbers in cancer: 50-year of The Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Armando Cortés, Edwin Carrascal, Pelayo Correa, Nora Ordóñez, Seroprevalencia de anticuerpos anti-Helicobacter pylori en donantes de sangre de regiones colombianas con diferencias en la mortalidad por cáncer gástrico. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 31 No. 3 (2000)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Olga Isabel Arboleda, Oscar Ramirez, Alexander Durán, Maria Cristina Lesmes, Melissa Rendler-García, Silvina Frech, Rolando Camacho, Susan Henshall, Cali, Colombia, C/Can 2025 aprendizaje clave : desafío de ciudades contra el cáncer , Colombia Medica: Vol. 48 No. 2 (2017)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, From printing to Scielo and Pubmed Central , Colombia Medica: Vol. 45 No. 1 (2014)
- Edwin Carrascal, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Armando Cortés, Informe de biopsias gástricas endoscópicas: un propósito de unificación para Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 34 No. 4 (2003)
- Pablo A. Bravo, Sonia M. Bravo, Beatriz Porras, Jaime Valderrama, Angel Erazo, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Prevalencia de sustancias psicoactivas asociadas con muertes violentas en Cali. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 (2005)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella García, Paola Andrea Collazos, Cancer survival in Cali, Colombia: A population-based study, 1995-2004 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 45 No. 3 (2014)
- Maria Clara Yépez Chamorro, Luisa Mercedes Bravo Goyes, Daniel Marcelo Jurado Fajardo, Sandra Jaqueline Mena Huertas, Harold Mauricio Casas Cruz, Incidence and mortality by cancer in the Pasto municipality, Colombia. 2013-2017 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 53 No. 1 (2022): Cancer incidence and mortality
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella Garcia, Paola Collazos, Edwin Carrascal, Elvia Karina Grillo-Ardila, Erquinovaldo Millan, Jorge Holguín, Cancer epidemiology in Cali, 60 years of experience , Colombia Medica: Vol. 53 No. 1 (2022): Cancer incidence and mortality
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use