Main Article Content
Design: Cross sectional study.
Patients and methods: Four hundred patients aged sixty years or older consulting the EU (Caldas Hospital, Manizales, Colombia) (March-May 2004). Data on demographic characteristics, primary diagnosis, associated conditions and evaluation of medications intake were taken from the clinical records. Functional state was measured according with Barthel’s index. Type and severity of ADE and ADR were categorized. Algorithms were used for ADR operational assessment.
Results: The mean of age of patients was 72.8±8.2 years, and 52.3% were females. Frequency of ADE and ADR was 6.8%. Organic systems affected were 48.1% gastrointestinal, 37% endocrine and metabolic. 28.3% of the patients were not on medication. Mean use of medications per patient was 2.9±1.7. Type of medications involved, in order of frequency, was antiplatelet, hypoglicemic, diuretic, NSAIDs and cardiovascular. Intake of medication (Odds Ratio (OR)=3.52, (IC95% =1.58-7.87), and functional status (OR=3.54 (IC95% = 1.6-7.82) were associated factors for emergency unit admission for ADE or ADR. In the logistic regression the presence of an associated illness constituted the only independent associated factor for hospitalization (OR=3.2 IC 95% 1.95-5.42).
Conclusions: ADE and ADR are frequent, important and not well studied causes for consultation of elderly patients at the EU. The number of associated illness was the main risk factor for hospitalization by ADE or ADR.
- Carmen Lucía Curcio, Claudia Payan Villamizar, Abelardo Jiménez, Fernando Gómez, Abuse in Colombian elderly and its association with socioeconomic conditions and functionality , Colombia Medica: Vol. 50 No. 2 (2019): SABE Colombia
- Carmen Lucía Curcio, José Hoover Vanegas, María Cristina Palacio, Jairo Corchuelo Ojeda, Elderly and forced displacement in Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 50 No. 2 (2019): SABE Colombia
- José Mauricio Ocampo, Julián A. Herrera, Patricia Torres, Jhon Alexander Rodríguez, Liliana Loboa, Carlos Alberto García, Caregiver burden in dependent elderly. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 38 No. 1 (2007)
- José Mauricio Ocampo, Nhora Romero, Héctor A. Saa, Julián A. Herrera, Carlos A. Reyes Ortiz, Prevalence of religiosity, family function, social support and deppresive symptoms in old people. Cali, Colombia, 2001. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 37 No. 2 Supl 1 (2006)
- Carlos Raúl Villegas, José Arnoby Chacón, Juan Paulo Cardona, Luz Ángela Correa, Perfil clínico epidemiológico de los pacientes con cáncer tratados en una institución de tercer nivel. Manizales, Colombia, 1995-2004 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 1 (2012)
- José Fernando Gómez, Carmen Lucía Curcio, John Ericson Orjuela, John Jairo Ramírez, Envejecimiento en comunidades campesinas: proyecto envejecer en el campo. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 29 No. 4 (1998)
- José Mauricio Ocampo, Self-rated health: Importance of use in elderly adults , Colombia Medica: Vol. 41 No. 3 (2010)
- Carmen Lucía Curcio, José Fernando Gómez, Angélica García, Caídas y capacidad funcional entre ancianos colombianos que realizan y no realizan ejercicio. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 29 No. 4 (1998)
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use