Main Article Content
Materials and methods: A cross-sectional descriptive study was made in 319 patients who attended four health institutions in the city of Cali. The inclusion criteria were: being HIV positive patients, being over 18 years old, attending medical checkups and accepting participation. Pregnant women and inmates were excluded.
Results: The general prevalence of oral manifestations was 77.1% (CI 95%: 72.4-81.7). The most frequent oral manifestation was xerostomia with 41.1% (CI 95%: 35.5-46.6), followed by the manifestations from mycotic origin [(35.7% (CI 95% 30.4-41)] bacterial [34.2% (CI 95%: 28.9-39.4)] virals [16.6 (CI 95% 12.5-20.7)], oral ulcers [7.5 (CI 95%: 4.6-10.4)] and neoplastics [3.8 (CI95% 1.6-5.8)]. The population studied did not show non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. In the multivariate analysis, the presence of oral injuries was associated with time of HIV/AIDS diagnosis during the previous 12 months, detectable viral load, and presence of removable dental prosthesis and self-report of dry mouth.
Conclusions: The prevalence of oral manifestations registered in this population is high compared with those reported world-wide. Considering the association found, our results suggest that oral injuries are initial clinic characteristics of the disease and may be useful to predict treatment failure and progression from HIV infection to AIDS.
- Miguel Evelio León, Roger Mauricio Arce, María Andrea Espinosa, Medidas cefalométricas en mujeres con características faciales agradables. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 32 No. 3 (2001)
- Blanca Lynne Suárez, María Inés Álvarez, Matilde de Bernal, Andrés Collazos, Candida species and other yeasts in the oral cavities of type 2 diabetic patients in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 44 No. 1 (2013)
- Alejandra Saldarriaga-Cantillo, Oscar Londoño, Luz Stella García, Paola Collazos, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Epidemiological surveillance of the HIV/AIDS complex through the analysis of trends in the incidence of Kaposi’s sarcoma in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 4 (2012): Numbers in cancer: 50-year of The Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali
- Adriana Jaramillo, Gloria Inés Lafaurie, Lina Viviana Millán, Carlos Martin Ardila, Andrés Duque, Camilo Novoa, Diego López, Adolfo Contreras, Association between periodontal disease and plasma levels of cholesterol and triglycerides , Colombia Medica: Vol. 44 No. 2 (2013)
- Dilia Mildret Fontalvo, Gustavo Jiménez Borré, Doris Gómez Camargo, Neylor Chalavé Jiménez, Javier Bellido Rodríguez, Bernarda Cuadrado Cano, Shirley Navarro Gómez, Tuberculosis and pulmonary candidiasis co-infection present in a previously healthy patient , Colombia Medica: Vol. 47 No. 2 (2016)
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use