Main Article Content
Methods: A cohort study from early pregnancy to childhood was performed. Seventy-six fetuses/children were evaluated between 1995 and 2004. Cord blood samples were taken at birth and several hormonal and metabolic parameters evaluated. Sixty-four children of the original cohort were available for blood sampling, blood pressure and anthropometric measures at a mean age of 8 years. 27 (42.2%) were IUGR and 37 (57.8%) were NBW. Multiple regression analyses were conducted with cord blood levels of hormonal and metabolic parameters at birth and at 8 years as independent variables and children’s blood pressure as dependent variable adjusted by IUGR status, gender, Body Mass Index and age of the child at the time of blood pressure evaluation.
Results: The maternal age (26.6±5.8 vs 26.9±5.8 years old) and the gestational age at birth (39.1±1.4 vs 39.6±1.3 weeks) were similar between the groups. IUGR children were shorter (1.28± 0.09 m vs 1.33± 0.09 m, p=0.04). Growth hormone levels (GH) at birth were negatively associated with systolic blood pressure at 8 years of age (regression coefficients for umbilical cord blood levels: -0.9, 95% CI -2.03 to 0.04 mg/ml, p= 0.04).
Conclusion: The alterations on blood pressure can begin in fetal life were levels of GH could have an important role.
- Aníbal Nieto, Julián A. Herrera, José Villar, Roberto Matorras, Carlos López de la Manzanara, Ignacio Arribas, Julia Alvarez, Eugenia Peiró, Association between calcium intake, parathormone levels and blood pressure during pregnancy. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 40 No. 2 (2009)
- Julián Alberto Herrera, AKM Shahabuddin, Mohamad Faisal, Gao Ersheng, Yuan Wei, Dou Lixia, Timothée Gandaho, Patricio López Jaramillo, Efectos de la suplementacion oral con calcio y ácido linoleico conjugado en primigrávidas de alto riesgo. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 35 No. 1 (2004)
- Julián Alberto Herrera, Lina María García Zapata, Mario Hernández Álvarez, The general health social security system and the formation of its human talent , Colombia Medica: Vol. 45 No. 2 (2014)
- Julián Alberto Herrera, Agreement towards excellence , Colombia Medica: Vol. 40 No. 2 (2009)
- Julián Alberto Herrera, EDITORIAL ELECTRONIC JOURNAL WITH OPEN ACCESS: A TECHNOLOGICAL LEAP , Colombia Medica: Vol. 41 No. 1 (2010)
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use