Main Article Content
Objective: To calculate the internal consistency and explore the factor structure of three versions of the Zung’s rating instrument for anxiety disorders among university students.
Method: Two-hundred and twenty-one medicine and psychology students of a private university in Cartagena, Colombia, completed the 20-item version of the Zung’s rating instrument for anxiety disorders. The mean of age of students was 20.5 years (SD=2.6), 64.4% were women, and 54.3% studied medicine. Cronbach alpha was computed and exploratory factor analysis was done for the three versions.
Results: The 20-item version of the Zung’s rating instrument for anxiety disorders presents Cronbach alpha coefficient of 0.77 and three principal factors accounted for 40.1% of the total variance. The 10-item version showed Cronbach alpha of 0.83 and two-dimensional structure responsible of 54.0% of the total variance. The 5-item version showed Cronbach alpha of 0.74 and one-dimensional structure accounted for 49.5% of the total variance.
Conclusions: The 10- and 5-item version of the Zung’s rating instrument for anxiety disorders present better psychometric properties than the original 20-item version. It is necessary to estimate the properties of these versions compared with a gold standard.
- Luis Alfonso Díaz, Adalberto Campo, German Eduardo Rueda, Jaider Alfonso Barros, Propuesta de una versión abreviada de la escala de Zung para depresión. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 (2005)
- Adalberto Campo, José Gabriel Franco, Pablo Edgar Gómez, María Victoria Ocampo, Carlos Alberto Velasco, Correspondencia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 4 (2005)
- Adalberto Campo, Luis Alfonso Díaz, Factors associated with daily cigarette smoking among 60-65 aged adults: a cross-sectional study. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 38 No. 4 (2007)
- Zuleima Cogollo, Carmen Elena Díaz, Adalberto Campo, Exploration of construct validity of the Zung’s self-rating depression scale among adolescent students. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 37 No. 2 (2006)
- Adalberto Campo, Luis Alfonso Díaz, Germán Eduardo Rueda, Mauricio Rueda, Daniel Farelo, Prevalencia de consumo de cigarrillo en pacientes de la consulta psiquiátrica de Bucaramanga. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 35 No. 2 (2004)
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use