Main Article Content
Introduction: Yearly more than 160,000 childhood cancer cases are diagnosed worldwide and around 90,000 die because of this disease. In Colombia, this represents the 2nd leading cause of childhood deaths for those more than one year old.
Objective: To describe the occurrence and survival patterns of childhood cancer patients over the last 20 years in Cali.
Methods:Information was obtained from the Cancer Population Registry in Cali and the Municipal Department of Health. The International Classification for childhood Cancer (ICCC) was used. Vital status data was obtained from MDH death certificates and hospital databases. Additionally, clinical records were reviewed and, in some cases, telephone contact was made to gather data. Follow-up was completed until December 31, 2011. Incident (IR) and mortality rates (MR) were estimated and adjusted for age. Life-tables were made to estimate overall survival. Results: Between 1977-2011 there were 2,311 cases of cancer identified in children less than 15 years of age. The IR and MR for Cali were found to be 141.2 and 55.6 per million of people per year. Leukemias, lymphomas, Central nervous system (CNS) tumors and soft tissue sarcomas showed IR´s of 60.1, 20.5, 25.7 and 9.4, respectively. 5-years OS was 48%, and showed an improvement from 24.9%±4.3 to 51.8%±4.6, compared 1992-96 vs 2002-06 periods.
Conclusion: The IR found is comparable with those from affluent countries. Taking into account that pediatric cancer is curable in about 75-80% of the cases, an enormous challenge is presented to the Colombian health system: to improve current clinical results.
Kaatsch P. Epidemiology of childhood cancer. Cancer Treat Rev. 2010; 36(4): 277-85.
Steliarova-Foucher E, Stiller C, Kaatsch P, Berrino F, Coebergh JW, Committee AS. Trends in childhood cancer incidence in Europe; 1970-99. Lancet. 2005; 365(9477): 2088.
Moreno F, Loria D, Abriata G, Terracini B, network R. Childhood cancer: Incidence and early deaths in Argentina; 2000-2008. Eur J Cancer. 2013; 49(2):465-73.
Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008 GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer. 2010; 127(12): 2893-917
Gatta G, Capocaccia R, Stiller C, Kaatsch P, Berrino F, Terenziani M, et al. Childhood cancer survival trends in Europe: a EUROCARE Working Group study. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23(16): 3742-51.
Magnani C, Pastore G, Coebergh JW, Viscomi S, Spix C, Steliarova-Foucher E. Trends in survival after childhood cancer in Europe; 1978-1997 report from the Automated Childhood Cancer Information System project (ACCIS). Eur J Cancer. 2006; 42(13): 1981-2005.
Ribeiro RC. Improving survival of children with cancer worldwide: the St. Jude International Outreach Program approach. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012; 172: 9-13.
Stiller CA. Epidemiology and genetics of childhood cancer. Oncogene. 2004; 23(38): 6429-44.
Birch JM, Marsden HB. A classification scheme for childhood cancer. Int J Cancer. 1987; 40(5): 620-4.
Kramárová E, Stiller CA. The international classification of childhood cancer. Int J Cancer. 1996; 68(6): 759-65.
Steliarova-Foucher E, Stiller C, Lacour B, Kaatsch P. International Classification of Childhood Cancer. Cancer. 2005; 103(7): 1457-67.
Bravo LE, Collazos T, Collazos P, García LS, Correa P. Trends of cancer incidence and mortality in Cali; Colombia. 50 years experience. Colomb Med. 2012; 43(4): 246-55.
Correa P, Llanos G. Morbidity and mortality from cancer in Cali; Colombia. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1966; 36(4): 717-45.
Parkin DM, Bray F. Evaluation of data quality in the cancer registry: principles and methods Part II. Completeness. Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45(5): 756-64.
Bray F, Parkin DM. Evaluation of data quality in the cancer registry: principles and methods. Part I: comparability; validity and timeliness. Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45(5): 747-55.
Parkin DM, Muir CS. Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. Comparability and quality of data. IARC Sci Publ. 1992;(120):45-173.
Surveillance Research Program NCI. SEER*Stat software. Version: 7.0.9 ed. Bethesda; MD: National Cancer Institute; 2012.
DANE. Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadística. Proyecciones de población 2005-2020. Bogotá: Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadística, 2010
Kaatsch P, Steliarova-Foucher E, Crocetti E, Magnani C, Spix C, Zambon P. Time trends of cancer incidence in European children (1978-1997): report from the Automated Childhood Cancer Information System project. Eur J Cancer. 2006; 42(13): 1961-71.
International incidence of childhood cancer. IARC Sci Publ. 1988; (87): 1-401.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Trends in childhood cancer mortality--United States; 1990-2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007; 56(48): 1257-61.
Stiller CA, Parkin DM. International variations in the incidence of childhood lymphomas. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 1990; 4(3): 303-24.
Stiller CA, Nectoux J. International incidence of childhood brain and spinal tumours. Int J Epidemiol. 1994; 23(3): 458-64.
Pastore G, Znaor A, Spreafico F, Graf N, Pritchard-Jones K, Steliarova-Foucher E. Malignant renal tumours incidence and survival in European children (1978-1997): report from the Automated Childhood Cancer Information System project. Eur J Cancer. 2006;42(13):2103-14.
Parkin DM, Stiller CA, Nectoux J. International variations in the incidence of childhood bone tumours. Int J Cancer. 1993; 53(3): 371-6.
Pastore G, Peris-Bonet R, Carli M, Martínez-García C, Sánchez de Toledo J, Steliarova-Foucher E. Childhood soft tissue sarcomas incidence and survival in European children (1978-1997): report from the Automated Childhood Cancer Information System project. Eur J Cancer. 2006;42(13):2136-49.
- Carlos Reina, Miyerlandi Torres, Edgar Muñoz, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Rodrigo Guerrero, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Mortality due to COVID-19 during the vaccination plan against the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 52 No. 4 (2021)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Juliana Alexandra Hernández Vargas, Paola Collazos, Luz Stella García, Ana María Valbuena, Lizbeth Acuña, Survival in stomach cancer: analysis of a national cancer information system and a population-based cancer registry in Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 53 No. 4 (2022): The death debate
- Nubia Muñoz, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Epidemiology of cervical cancer in Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 4 (2012): Numbers in cancer: 50-year of The Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Tito Collazos, Paola Collazos, Luz Stella García, Pelayo Correa, Trends of cancer incidence and mortality in Cali, Colombia. 50 years experience , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 4 (2012): Numbers in cancer: 50-year of The Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Armando Cortés, Edwin Carrascal, Pelayo Correa, Nora Ordóñez, Seroprevalencia de anticuerpos anti-Helicobacter pylori en donantes de sangre de regiones colombianas con diferencias en la mortalidad por cáncer gástrico. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 31 No. 3 (2000)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Olga Isabel Arboleda, Oscar Ramirez, Alexander Durán, Maria Cristina Lesmes, Melissa Rendler-García, Silvina Frech, Rolando Camacho, Susan Henshall, Cali, Colombia, C/Can 2025 aprendizaje clave : desafío de ciudades contra el cáncer , Colombia Medica: Vol. 48 No. 2 (2017)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, From printing to Scielo and Pubmed Central , Colombia Medica: Vol. 45 No. 1 (2014)
- Edwin Carrascal, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Armando Cortés, Informe de biopsias gástricas endoscópicas: un propósito de unificación para Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 34 No. 4 (2003)
- Pablo A. Bravo, Sonia M. Bravo, Beatriz Porras, Jaime Valderrama, Angel Erazo, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Prevalencia de sustancias psicoactivas asociadas con muertes violentas en Cali. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 (2005)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella García, Paola Andrea Collazos, Cancer survival in Cali, Colombia: A population-based study, 1995-2004 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 45 No. 3 (2014)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella Garcia, Paola Collazos, Jorge Alirio Holguin, Isabelle Soerjomataram, Adalberto Miranda-Filho, Trends in long-term cancer survival in Cali, Colombia: 1998-2017 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 53 No. 1 (2022): Cancer incidence and mortality
- Oscar Ramírez Wurttemberger, Information and Childhood Cancer , Colombia Medica: Vol. 47 No. 2 (2016)
- V CONGRESO INTERNACIONAL VIII CONGRESO COLOMBIANO DE GENÉTICA, V CONGRESO INTERNACIONAL , Colombia Medica: Vol. 39 No. 2 Supl 2 (2008): Citogenética
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use