From printing to Scielo and Pubmed Central
Main Article Content
The first issue of Philosophical Transactions from the Royal Society published in 1665 is widely regarded as the beginning of modern academic communication through journal articles. This form of presentation was an alternative to books for facilitating the exchange of ideas among scholarly circles. Soon journal collections and scientific libraries were created and eventually an evaluation of the quality of research activity was sought through noting the impact of their publications1.
With guidance from the National University of Colombia and support from Scielo Brazil, in 2013 the standards of the US-NLM were implemented and technical endorsement by Pubmed Central was attained. Colombia Médica´s retention over time is guaranteed by the US-NLM; as of 2014 it will become part of PubMed Central, the free digital archive of biomedical and biological sciences of the U.S. National Institute of Health, which is considered to be the most important digital library in the world.
The guidance of the journals by multidisciplinary teams, the policy of free access to its contents, and the technological transfer with the use of free software will help the journals of middle and low-income countries to overcome barriers to diffusion and to maintain technological independence from commercial publishers. Colombia Médica makes an impassioned plea to WHO/PAHO to support BIREME, Brazil and convert SciELO into a certified digital repository.
. de Micheli-Serra A , author. On Academics and Academicians, Historical sketch. Gac Med Mex. 2003;139(3):281–285
. Odlyzko AM , author. Tragic Loss or Good Riddance? The Impending Demise of Traditional Scholarly Journals. International Journal of Human Computer Studies. 1995;42(1):71–122
. Fernandez-Llimos F , author. Open access, predatory publishing and peer-review. Pharm Pract (Granada). 2014;12(1):427
. Beck J , author. NISO Z3996 The Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) What Happened to the NLM DTDs. J Electron Publ. 2011;14(1):106
. Packer AL, Biojone MR, Antonio I, Takenaka RM, Pedroso Alberto G, Silva AC, et al. . SciELO: una metodología para la publicación electrónica. Rev Esp Salud Publica. 2001;75(4):291–312
. León-Sarmiento FE , author. Colombia Médica is now indexed in MEDLINE/Pubmed: A dream come true. Colomb Med. 2011;42:265–266
. Herrera JA , author. Revista electrónica con sistema abierto: Un salto tecnológico. Colomb Med. 2010;41:9
- Rodrigo Guerrero, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Edgar Muñoz, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Esteban Guerrero, COVID-19: The Ivermectin African Enigma , Colombia Medica: Vol. 51 No. 4 (2020): Damage Control Surgery (I)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Armando Cortés, Edwin Carrascal, Roberto Jaramillo, Luz Stella García, Paco Eduardo Bravo, Aníbal Badel, Pablo Andrés Bravo, Helicobacter pylori: patología y prevalencia en biopsias gástricas en Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 34 No. 3 (2003)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Nubia Muñoz, Epidemiology of cancer in Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 49 No. 1 (2018): Colombia Cancer Epidemiology
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella García, Paola Collazos, Edwin Carrascal, Oscar Ramírez, Armando Cortés, Marcela Nuñez, Erquinovaldo Millán, Reliable information for cancer control in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 49 No. 1 (2018): Colombia Cancer Epidemiology
- Luz Stella Garcia, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Paola Collazos, Oscar Ramirez, Edwin Carrascal, Marcela Nuñez, Nelson Portilla, Erquinovaldo Millan, Cali Cancer Registry Methods , Colombia Medica: Vol. 49 No. 1 (2018): Colombia Cancer Epidemiology
- Armando Cortés, Lina María Isaza, Luis Eduardo Bravo, María Fernanda Palomino, Incidencia de seroconversión para infecciones virales trasmisibles por transfusión en donantes habituales de sangre en Cali. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 32 No. 4 (2001)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella Garcia, Paola Collazos, Edwin Carrascal, Elvia Karina Grillo-Ardila, Erquinovaldo Millan, Jorge Holguín, Cancer epidemiology in Cali, 60 years of experience , Colombia Medica: Vol. 53 No. 1 (2022): Cancer incidence and mortality
- Rodrigo Guerrero, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Edgar Muñoz, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Esteban Guerrero, Reply to a letter from Robert Colebunders entitled COVID-19: The African Enigma , Colombia Medica: Vol. 52 No. 2 (2021): Damage Control Surgery (II)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella Garcia, Paola Collazos, Jorge Alirio Holguin, Isabelle Soerjomataram, Adalberto Miranda-Filho, Trends in long-term cancer survival in Cali, Colombia: 1998-2017 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 53 No. 1 (2022): Cancer incidence and mortality
- Carlos Reina, Miyerlandi Torres, Edgar Muñoz, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Rodrigo Guerrero, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Mortality due to COVID-19 during the vaccination plan against the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 52 No. 4 (2021)
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use