Cancer epidemiology in Cali, 60 years of experience
Incidence Colombia Developing Countries Mortality, Premature Sustainable Development Age Distribution Censuses Cervix Uteri Prostate Survival Rate Information Systems
Main Article Content
The population-based Cancer Registry of Cali Colombia operates continuously since 1962, disseminating incidence information in the XI volumes of Cancer Incidence in Five Continents.
To describe the incidence and mortality rates for the period 2011-2020 and the changes in the trend of incidence rates (1962-2017) and mortality rates from cancer (1986-2020).
The Joinpoint model and the annual percentage change (APC) were used as summary measures of the changes in the trends of incidence rates (ASR-I) and mortality (ASR-M) standardized by age with the direct method.
Trough 1988-2017 the ASR-I for all locations increased 0.4% annually (95% CI: 0.2, 0.6) in men and decreased annually 0.2% (95% CI: -0.3; -0.1) in women. The ASR-Is of cancers related to opportunity screening activities (prostate and breast) increased until the early 21st century and then decreased. The ASR-I of cancers related to infectious agents continues to decrease (cervix, vulva, and stomach). There is evidence of control of cancer-related to tobacco consumption (lung, oral cavity, bladder). In both sexes, the ASR-I of thyroid, colorectal and lymphoma cancers increased and those of ovarian cancer decreased. Between 1984-2020 the ASR-M for all locations decreased annually 0.7% (95% CI: -0.9, -0.5) in men and 1.1% (95% CI: -1.3, -0.9) in women. For both sexes, ASR-M decreased for cancers of the esophagus, stomach, lung, bladder, lymphomas, and leukemias; and increased in colorectal cancer. The ASR-M for cervical and prostate cancer decreased annually by 3.5% (95% CI: -3.9, -3.2) and 0.1% (95% CI: -0.5, -0.3), respectively.
This information allows the construction of some indicators to monitor the City Cancer Challenge initiative and the current 10-year plan for cancer control in Colombia, 2011-2021.
Bravo, L. E., Garcia, L. S., Collazos, P., Carrascal, E., Grillo-Ardila, E. K., Millan, E., & Holguín, J. (2023). Cancer epidemiology in Cali, 60 years of experience. Colombia Medica, 53(1), e2005050. https://doi.org/10.25100/cm.v53i1.5050 (Original work published March 30, 2022)
Download data is not yet available.
- Rodrigo Guerrero, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Edgar Muñoz, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Esteban Guerrero, COVID-19: The Ivermectin African Enigma , Colombia Medica: Vol. 51 No. 4 (2020): Damage Control Surgery (I)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Armando Cortés, Edwin Carrascal, Roberto Jaramillo, Luz Stella García, Paco Eduardo Bravo, Aníbal Badel, Pablo Andrés Bravo, Helicobacter pylori: patología y prevalencia en biopsias gástricas en Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 34 No. 3 (2003)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo Ocaña, Paola Collazos, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Luz Stella García, Erquinovaldo Millán, Patricia Mera, Jorge Holguín, Mortality from respiratory infections and chronic non-communicable diseases before the COVID-19 pandemic in Cali, Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 51 No. 2 (2020): Coronavirus disease 2019
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Nubia Muñoz, Epidemiology of cancer in Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 49 No. 1 (2018): Colombia Cancer Epidemiology
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella García, Paola Collazos, Edwin Carrascal, Oscar Ramírez, Armando Cortés, Marcela Nuñez, Erquinovaldo Millán, Reliable information for cancer control in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 49 No. 1 (2018): Colombia Cancer Epidemiology
- Luz Stella Garcia, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Paola Collazos, Oscar Ramirez, Edwin Carrascal, Marcela Nuñez, Nelson Portilla, Erquinovaldo Millan, Cali Cancer Registry Methods , Colombia Medica: Vol. 49 No. 1 (2018): Colombia Cancer Epidemiology
- Armando Cortés, Lina María Isaza, Luis Eduardo Bravo, María Fernanda Palomino, Incidencia de seroconversión para infecciones virales trasmisibles por transfusión en donantes habituales de sangre en Cali. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 32 No. 4 (2001)
- Rodrigo Guerrero, Luis Eduardo Bravo, Edgar Muñoz, Elvia Karina Grillo Ardila, Esteban Guerrero, Reply to a letter from Robert Colebunders entitled COVID-19: The African Enigma , Colombia Medica: Vol. 52 No. 2 (2021): Damage Control Surgery (II)
- Luis Eduardo Bravo, Luz Stella Garcia, Paola Collazos, Jorge Alirio Holguin, Isabelle Soerjomataram, Adalberto Miranda-Filho, Trends in long-term cancer survival in Cali, Colombia: 1998-2017 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 53 No. 1 (2022): Cancer incidence and mortality
- Edwin Carrascal, Armando Cortés, Suminori Akiba, Oscar Tamayo, Francisco Quiñónez, Luisa Flórez, Blanca Piazuelo, Epidemiología y patología de la leucemia/linfoma de células T del adulto en Cali y el suroccidente colombiano. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 35 No. 1 (2004)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use