Main Article Content
Objective: Evaluate the laminar response of a subpopulation of gabaergic cells, those that are parvalbumin (PV) positive and the astrocytes through the expression of the glial transporter GLT1 on the contralateral cortex to an ischemic core.
Methodology: For this purpose we used the medial cerebral artery occlusion model in rats. The artery was occluded for 90 minutes and the animals were sacrificed at 24 and 72 hours post-ischemia. The brains were removed, cut in a vibratome at 50 microns and incubated with the primary antibodies against PV or GLT1. Sections were developed using the vectastain Kit. In control tissue the primary antibody was omitted.
Results: When compared with control animals, treated ones show a decrease in the expression of GLT1, especially in layers III and IV of the contralateral cortex to the ischemic core. PV positive cells increases in layers II and V.
Conclusion: Increases in the expression of PV cells could correspond to an adaptation associated with glutamate increases in the synaptic compartment. These increases may be due to decreases in the expression of GLT1 transporter, that could not remove the glutamate present in the synaptic cleft, generating hyperactivity in the contralateral cortex. These changes could represent an example of neuronal and glial plasticity in remote areas to an ischemic core but connected to the primary site of injury.
- David Riascos, Francisco Guzmán, Efraín Buriticá, Mauricio Palacios, Martha Isabel Escobar, Hernán Pimienta, Organotypic human neuronal culture derived from traumatic brain injury. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 39 No. 3 Supl 3 (2008): Neurociencias
- Carolina Isaza, Martha Isabel Escobar, Antonio Montoya, Jairo Sánchez, Estudio de alteraciones cromosómicas y su relación con el crecimiento in vitro en células de meningiomas. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 37 No. 1 (2006)
- Gabriel Arteaga, Efrain Buritica, Martha Isabel Escobar, Hernan Pimienta, Human prefrontal layer II interneurons in areas 46, 10 and 24 , Colombia Medica: Vol. 46 No. 1 (2015)
- Martha Isabel Escobar, Francisco Guzmán, Efraín Buriticá, David Riascos, Liliana Villamil, Hernán Pimienta, Changes in laminar and dendritic organization of the cerebral cortex after traumatic brain injury. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 39 No. 3 Supl 3 (2008): Neurociencias
- César A. Arango Dávila, Martha Isabel Escobar, Efraín Buriticá, Hernán Pimienta, Exofocal changes in experimental focal cerebral ischemia: an experimental approach and its clinical correlation. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 39 No. 3 Supl 3 (2008): Neurociencias
- Ives Chatain, Alberto Delgado, Martha Isabel Escobar, Vascularización del bazo y sus aplicaciones quirúrgicas , Colombia Medica: Vol. 16 No. 3,4 (1985)
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use