Main Article Content
Objective: this research is related to the meaning of the pregnant mother’s self care and her child to be born using a group of displaced women living in Pampas del Mirador neighborhood in the city of Cali, and based in their own beliefs. It tries to discover the dynamics and the way they reconstruct the practices of the care related to pregnancy, within their new social tissue.
Method: Ethno nursing includes deep interviews. Nine displaced pregnant women participated in the survey besides two general reporters. The size of the survey was taken by applying the criteria of data saturation.
Findings: The big concern for women is that the child is born well and this means for them that they will achieve this provided they develop the same care they saw their mothers to practice, their aunts and the great majority of women of their land. They are convinced that in the city everything will be like when they were in the field and that the customs during the period of pregnancy can be similar to those that they know. During pregnancy they realize actions mainly oriented to – «try that the child is well placed» «this means with the little head down placed», «avoid to do a bad force», «maintain the balance of the body between cold and heat», «eat well», «transmit safety and wellbeing to the son» and finally «cultivate the family collaboration and support». The indicated patterns are linked to produce a synergy aimed to achieve that the son is born well. These beliefs, practices and customs related to the maternity, are sometimes considered irrelevant in the care that is provided in the health centers thus generating distrust feelings in the use of these services. To get to know the self care practices of displaced pregnant women forces to an exchange of knowledge that allows to determine which of those practices are important to keep, which to adjust or to negotiate and which to be restructured so that the health and well being of the mother and her son will be the best possible.
- Edelmira Castillo, Marta Lucía Vásquez, El rigor metodológico en la investigación cualitativa. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 34 No. 3 (2003)
- Martha Lucía Vásquez, Luz Ángela Argote, Edelmira Castillo, María Elena Mejía, María Eugenia Villaquirán, La educación y el ejercicio responsable de la sexualidad en adolescentes. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 Supl 2 (2005)
- Martha Lucía Vásquez, Luz Ángela Argote, Edelmira Castillo, María Elena Mejía, Robinson Tunjo, María Eugenia Villaquirán, Educación en derechos sexuales y reproductivos: una perspectiva integral con adolescentes escolarizados. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 Supl 2 (2005)
- Martha Lucía Vásquez, Luz Ángela Argote, Edelmira Castillo, María José Cabrera, Danilo Gonzalez, María Elena Mejía, María Eugenia Villaquirán, Apropiación de los derechos sexuales y reproductivos en los adolescentes: una experiencia desde la teoría de la acción razonada. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 Supl 2 (2005)
- Luz Ángela Argote, Ángela María Duque, Laura González, Andrey Payán, Claudia María Payán, Luz Helena Rojas, María Clara Tovar, Los egresados y su desempeño en el medio: un desafío de las instituciones formadoras del recurso humano en salud. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 32 No. 4 (2001)
- Marlene Montes, Luz Ángela Argote, Gloria Cielo Alvarez, Asceneth Osorio, Olga Osorio, Aplicación de un modelo fundamentado en el amor con adolescentes grávidas en el Centro de Salud Cristóbal Colón, Cali, Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 Supl 2 (2005)
- Luz Ángela Argote, Consuelo Burbano, Claudia Santamaría, Martha Lucía Vásquez, Disciplinary development: the reason for being, sensing, thinking, and doing in nursing , Colombia Medica: Vol. 42 No. 2 supl 1 (2011): Enfermería
- Luz Ángela Argote, Martha Lucía Vásquez, “La dieta” como camino para asegurar un hijo sano: Una mirada desde el mundo urbano de las adolescentes. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 Supl 2 (2005)
- María Clara Tovar, Luz Ángela Argote, Melva Patricia Ocampo, ITC in the School of Nursing at the Valle University: A transformative experience , Colombia Medica: Vol. 42 No. 2 supl 1 (2011): Enfermería
- Diana Lorena Fajardo, Sonia Yurany Gallego, Luz Ángela Argote, Noise levels in the «Hospital Universitario del Valle» newborn intensive care unit «Cirena», Cali, Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 38 No. 4 Supl 2 (2007): Enfermería
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use