Main Article Content
Methods: This is a retrospective descriptive study in a series of cases with congenital renal agenesis diagnosed between January, 1995 and December 2007, of patients under 18 years of age and based on a review of clinical records.
Results: 43 patients were found, 51.2% males, 88% from the department of Valle del Cauca. Prenatal diagnoses were conducted in only 21% of these patients; agenesis was right in 48.8% and left in 51.2%. In 46.5%, association with other pathologies was found: occult spinal bifida, congenital scoliosis, and Klippel-Feil sequence. Compensatory renal hypertrophy was reported in 39.5% of the patients, 42% had episodes of urinary tract infection, 31% vesicoureteral reflux and 10% proteinuria. Four male patients (9.3%) developed renal failure. The average follow-up was 6.6 years.
Conclusions: Prenatal diagnose was not very frequent in our set of cases. Urinary tract infection and vesicoureteral reflux were common, increasing the risk of renal deterioration. Prolonged follow up is suggested, with unified protocols to prevent renal failure.
- Rodrigo Villalobos, Pedro Rovetto, Armando Cortés, Consuelo Restrepo de Rovetto, Descripción de los casos de nefropatía lúpica diagnosticados por biopsia en el Hospital Universitario del Valle, Cali, 1995-2000. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 33 No. 4 (2002)
- Consuelo Restrepo de Rovetto, Julián Andrés Mora, Sergio Alexandre Cardona, Andrés Felipe Marmolejo, Juan Fernando Paz, Iris de Castaño, Acute kidney injury applying pRifle scale in Children of Hospital Universitario del Valle in Cali, Colombia: clinical features, management and evolution , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 3 (2012)
- Consuelo Restrepo de Rovetto, Juan Carlos Agudelo, Luis H Conde, Alberto Pradilla, Blood pressure by age, gender, height, and socioeconomic level in school populations in Cali, Colombia , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 1 (2012)
- Iris De Castaño, Lina María Velasquéz, Displasia renal multiquística: curso clínico y evaluación del riñón contralateral , Colombia Medica: Vol. 40 No. 4 (2009)
- Adela Isabel Herrera, Consuelo de Rovetto, Iris de Castaño, Alexander Maximiliano Martínez, Alejandra Guerrero, Nutritional status in children with chronic renal failure in outpatient pediatric nephrology clinic at the Hospital Universitario del Valle, Cali , Colombia Medica: Vol. 40 No. 2 (2009)
- Paula Hurtado, Harry Maurcio Pachajoa, Consuelo Restrepo de Rovetto, Letter to the Editor , Colombia Medica: Vol. 41 No. 2 (2010)
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use