Main Article Content
Objectives: To determine the prevalence of newborns with gastroschisis born at Hospital Universitario del Valle (HUV) in Cali, during a two-year period and to evaluate the association between demographic factors of the parents and the occurrence of gastrosquisis.
Methods: An observational and descriptive study was made, considering as universe all newborns at Hospital Universitario del Valle in Cali, Colombia, between March 2004 and February 2006, to determine the occurrence of newborns with gastroschisis.
Results: During the time of the study, 16 children were born with gastrosquisis from a total of 14,452 births, representing a prevalence of 11.1 per 10,000 births, of 7.8 per 10,000 live newborns and of 103.5 in dead newborns. We found the mothers’ average age at 18.3. In August 2005 at Hospital Universitario del Valle there were 611 births of which 5 were born with gastroschisis, showing a prevalence of 81.8 per 10,000 and 1 per 122 newborns.
Conclusions: The prevalence of gastrosquisis at HUV of 11.1 per 10,000 births is one of the highest reported in the literature. Maternal age under 20 years and being the first pregnancy were found in most of the mothers of newborns with gastroschisis. 5 cases of gastroschisis in August 2005 at HUV suggest a cluster for this malformation.
- Carolina Isaza, El desarrollo de la investigación en genética en Colombia. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 39 No. 2 Supl 2 (2008): Citogenética
- Wilmar Saldarriaga, Flora Tassone, Laura Yuriko González-Teshima, Jose Vicente Forero-Forero, Sebastián Ayala-Zapata, Randi Hagerman, Fragile X Syndrome , Colombia Medica: Vol. 45 No. 4 (2014)
- Carolina Isaza, León Alberto Manrique, Anomalías y síndromes asociados con labio y/o paladar hendido , Colombia Medica: Vol. 22 No. 2 (1991)
- Rubby Elena Ramírez M, Carolina Isaza, María Isabel Gutiérrez M, La incidencia del síndrome de Down en Cali. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 27 No. 3,4 (1996)
- Diana Ramirez Montaño, Harry Pachajoa, Wiedemann-Steiner syndrome with a novel pathogenic variant in KMT2A: a case report , Colombia Medica: Vol. 50 No. 1 (2019)
- William Jubiz, Carolina Isaza, Jhon Jairo Rojas, Gen SRY y ausencia de tejido testicular en una mujer 47XYY con disgenesia gonadal. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 1 (2005)
- Carlos A. Rodríguez, Carolina Isaza, Harry Pachajoa, Achondroplasia among ancient populations of mesoamerica and South America: Iconographic and Archaeological Evidence. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 43 No. 3 (2012)
- Pablo Molano, Abraham Blank, Oscar Tamayo, Carolina Isaza, Fibromatosis gingival, amelogénesis imperfecta, retardo en la erupción dental y retardo en el crecimiento y desarrollo. ¿Un nuevo síndrome? , Colombia Medica: Vol. 27 No. 3,4 (1996)
- Wilmar Saldarriaga, Carolina Isaza, Presentación de 4 casos de defectos de blastogénesis: complejo cuerpo extremidad, complejo oeis y cordón corto. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 36 No. 3 (2005)
- Harry Mauricio Pachajoa, Wilmar Saldarriaga, Carolina Isaza, 18p- syndrome: Presentation of two cases with alobar holoprosencenphaly , Colombia Medica: Vol. 41 No. 4 (2010)
- Debora Duro, Daniel Kamin, Overview of short bowel syndrome and intestinal transplantation. , Colombia Medica: Vol. 38 No. 1 Supl 1 (2007): Gastrología Pediátrica
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.
The copy rights of the articles published in Colombia Médica belong to the Universidad del Valle. The contents of the articles that appear in the Journal are exclusively the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Editorial Committee of the Journal. It is allowed to reproduce the material published in Colombia Médica without prior authorization for non-commercial use